SPRING IS COMING – GET A BEAUTIFUL LAWN THIS YEAR!
Prepare Your Lawn for Seeding & Fertilization
Spring Lawn Preparations:
The snow has melted and the weather is warming up. It’s time for a spring cleanup and to make the lawn green and beautiful.
The snow is gone but it has left a mess of wet leaves and organic decay behind on your grass and underlying soil.
It’s important to cleanup the yard. First, it will make your house and property more attractive. Second, it’s going to make lawn maintenance easier and guarantee lawn treatments will be effective.
Spring Cleaning: What Needs to Be Done?
To guarantee your lawn will look healthy and beautiful: These simple steps will strengthen your lawn against environmental stresses, pests, weeds and diseases for the season to come.
Let’s get started:
1. Cleanup the leaves, sticks, branches, acorns, organic debris so the LAWN is easier to maintain and mow.
2. Haul the heavy wet compost off the property – make a mulch/soil pit in the back somewhere or just get rid of it.
3. Pick up the toys, bikes, stuff, clutter, and move them out of the way! Better yet, make your children pick up their own toys! Teach them a life lesson: we care for what we own!
4. Clean out the flower beds.
5. Re-edge the beds.
6. Redefine the lawn borders, edge if necessary.
7. Aerate or roto-till if necessary.
8. Reseed and add fresh soil weakened areas of the lawn.
9. Trim low hanging tree branches that rob the lawn of sunlight.
10. Trim back overgrown hedges and shrubs.
11. Fertilize! Apply first application of fertilizer/seed around late March-April. Avoid applying fertilizer during the hot summer months when cool-season grasses slow down growth due to higher temperatures and drier soil.
12. Walk your dogs at a public park – don’t let them run free through the yard – Dogs are nasty digging animals and they make a mess of everything they stick their slobbering snouts into! Or set up a fenced area for the dogs.
13. Better yet, get a cat! It’s a superior animal anyway! 🙂
14. Clean up the garbage around the yard & house.
15. Organize the Garage and tool-shed.
Video of an over-grown lawn being prepped here: